7/14/09

Voldemort versus Frank N. Furter

Harry Potter Mania. Okay, I am a Harry Potter maniac. I admit it. The movie debuts in about 3 1/2 hours from right now (as I write this). I will not be attending the midnight show, mind you. I have to haul my carcass out of bed and get to work in the morning, and going to bed after 3AM isn't going to work for me. Plus, the whole family wants to go, and even though my son is all up for seeing it at midnight, my daughter's birthday is tomorrow, and as young as she is, she doesn't need to be zombified for the big day.

Rocky Horror Picture Show in the 1980's - That's the last time I did a midnight showing, and it was a regular weekend deal. Ah, to be a teenager. I knew all the lines. "That man has noooo neck!" Jeez, I think I still have the Audience Participation album with Sal Piro and everything. Yes, this was an actual round thing made of vinyl. Some friends and I listened/shouted along to this sucker on a drive from Long Island up to Binghamton, NY in 1986.

By the way, the most fun ever had at a Broadway show was the Rocky Horror Show at Circle in the Square in 2001 with Daphne Rubin-Vega, Joan Jett, and Dick Cavett, among others. We were three seats from Mr. Cavett. The show was UNBELIEVABLE!

Whoah - how did I get so off track here? Harry Potter? Rocky Horror? Hmm. You know, I think Lucius Malfoy in Azkaban probably would look something like Riff Raff, and Magenta has a definite Bellatrix Lestrange thing going.

Enough of that. Yes, I admit, I'm a Potter-phile. I was devastated when they delayed HBP's release last year. The kids like going in my car, even though it's not the family truckster, because I invariably have one of the Harry Potter books on tape/CD playing. No drive down to Florida would be complete without it.

When HBP & Deathly Hallows came out, we were there at Borders till midnight. Deathly Hallows night was insane. The lines were ridiculous, and we eventually bailed and went home around 12:30, but friends of ours - equally insane friends - stayed, bought us a copy and left it in our mailbox around 2am. At 2:15, I climbed out of bed, went outside and grabbed the book. I only managed a couple of chapters before I realized I needed to get up in the morning.

I've monitored all internet sources for each and every trailer for HBP, and of course will be watching for both Deathly Hallows movie trailers. Where will we be in 2010? At Universal Studios Florida for the new Harry Potter World when it opens.

Sick? Sure. But at least I haven't tried Twilight. A person has to have limits.

No comments: