2/2/11

Ice and Other Life Moments


Two days of snow, slush and now.... ice.  Schools were closed today - a very good idea - and I wound up working from home because the driveway was under an inch of ice. I worked from home yesterday because the storm which began yesterday left accidents all over New Jersey, making it extremely hard to get out of my neighborhood.

The groundhog did not see it's shadow, so they tell us we're not getting six more weeks of winter. Somebody might want to tell the meteorologists about that. Oh, I'm sorry they already know, but they're predicting more nastiness for Saturday.

Still, I know spring and summer will be here soon enough, and I'll be complaining about how hot it is. Life is like that. Cold one moment and warm the next.

We're heading to my wife's uncle's funeral on Friday, which is sad enough. On top of that, the father of my childhood best friend (and later on my best man), passed away suddenly yesterday. His funeral is on Thursday, but I won't be able to make it. I'll probably pay a visit on Saturday.  All this brings back painful memories of when my own father passed away six years ago.

Work has been as stressful as I've ever known in my life. The f-bomb has escaped my mouth quite a few times over the last couple of weeks. But in the end, real life and death puts it all in perspective. When my daughter plays her flute or guitar in the living room while I'm working nearby, instead of wishing she'd keep it down, I'm loving every note. Every note.

Life is short. Savor every moment.

3 comments:

Louisa said...

sorry to hear that jbams.

wow! i can't imagine you ever dropping the f-bomb. wash your mouth out.

a nice ending note. i'm tearing up a bit.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your losses. :(

I hope spring hits you soon. We never had a real winter down in Florida. Just a few days of cold fronts on and off.

Jay said...

Thanks, guys. Florida. In Winter. Sounds... very nice. The ice is starting to melt ... slowly.