2/24/11

ABNA - Happy Relief

Finally! Amazon updated the ABNA page on their web site today, and my pitch for Urban Mythos enabled me to reach the second round. You can find the complete list of the YA entries that made the second round on the ABNA page. So, now I'm one of 1000 YA novels whose excerpts will be critiqued and scored by Amazon editors and at least one Amazon top reviewer. I'm not sure if the YA group had completely filled up to the 10,000 entries that were permitted, although the General Fiction group had.

So now I wait until March 22nd, when Amazon announces the Quarter-Finalists. Big shout-outs and congrats to my fellow writing buddies Kate Larkindale, Louisa Clarkson, and Tamara Heiner (and hubby) who also made the cut!

Here's the pitch that got me into the second round.



Sixteen-year-old Zydeco Hill uncovers a plot to capture former mythological creatures and expel them to a barren world filled with hungry beasts. Two years since his own transformation from griffin to human, he's been attending clandestine meetings of the city's ex-mythological creatures. When the police raid one such meeting, he discovers the conspiracy goes all the way up to the mayor's office.

As other mythos vanish from the city's streets, the deputy mayor demands Zydeco turn in Octavio, the missing leader of their kind. His initial resistance causes the disappearance of both his stepmother and best friend, and it won't be long before they're served up as chimera-chow. While trying to keep the mythological truth from the girl he adores, Zydeco must rescue his friends and step-mom. Along the way, he unearths critical information about an even larger conspiracy to rid the world of his brethren, but he needs Octavio's help to put it to use. The only problem is he has no idea where the guy is hiding.

At 80,000 words, Urban Mythos is a young adult urban fantasy novel that blends action and romance while dealing with issues of trust and assimilation. It will appeal to readers who enjoy the distinctive voice and humor of S.G. Browne's Breathers: A Zombie's Lament and Catherine Jinks' The Reformed Vampire Support Group.



Maybe I can breathe now and get back to Ghost Fishing.

8 comments:

Kristan said...

YAYAYAYAYAY! Congrats! BE SURE to let us know when the voting/rating/whatever period is. (They still do that, right?) That way we can go EN MASSE to support you!

M.A. Leslie said...

Ding, ding, ding. Time for round two. Stay loose, watch the jab, and good luck.

Annie McMahon said...

That's great news! Good luck with the next round! :)

Jay said...

Thanks, you guys! Kristan - I think they have voting at some point. I'm sure I need to advance further before it gets to that, but I'll definitely let everyone know!

Jacqui said...

Have to admit, that sounds awfully good. I didn't make the cut, but I'm in General. YA is so much more exciting this year. Good luck!

Jay said...

Thanks, Jacqui. I'm sorry you didn't make it this year. I hear General is extremely competitive.

Katherine Sainz said...

Wonderful news! I'll look for your work and I have to say that I am really enjoying the spirit of the ABNA writers thus far. This is my first try (got in 1st round / very humbled) and the culture of our fellow writers is enough to keep me as an ABNA fan for a long time. Onward we go!

Jay said...

Good for you, Katherine! It's definitely a lot of fun, right? Invigorating!!!