Revision Round #1 - Decrap-ification
- Kill some recycled trees and print the first draft.
- Read it and take copious notes all over the page. Can't put the check here yet. I'm halfway done.
- Make all the changes from step #2.
During the second round of revisions, I expect to remove more than add. Speaking of which, let's revisit what round #2 is all about.
Revision Round #2 - Incorporating feedback
- Gather all the critiques from the critique group (in this case, my YA writing pals on writing.com).
- For any editing/grammar nits, revise appropriately.
- For the "big issues", like characterization, plot, setting, voice, etc., decide if I agree with these points.
- If I agree, revise appropriately.
- If I don't agree, but several others do, consider that I may be wrong and revise appropriately.
- If I don't agree, but only one or two others do, the author wins. (Stephen King rule)
I think I'll start round two tomorrow. I owe my YA writing buddies some reviews tonight.